Sounds simple, doesn’t it? But before the creation of American Board, an alternative path to certification was almost impossible to find. The only way to become certified to teach was to commit to a program that took several years and usually over $10,000 to complete. We offer an alternative teaching certification program that enables schools across the country to hire teachers from their own local community, teachers who are trained and qualified to help guide students to a brighter future.
Why Choose The American Board?
Looking to change careers and move into education? We’ve created a program just for you! Designed for busy professionals, the American Board is entirely online and self-paced. You study when it fits your schedule.
No semesters, no classes, no loans or debts to earn certification. All you need to get started is a bachelor’s degree.
Our program was created to let competent professionals with real world experience take what they’ve learned and transition into a career in the classroom. Have you ever thought about becoming a teacher, but couldn’t fit returning to school into your life or budget?
Bottom Line: This program is designed for you.
Quick Facts About the American Board
- The American Board was founded in 2001 via a grant from the federal Department of Education.
- The American Board is a non-partisan, 501(c)3 nonprofit organization.
- We operate in 11 states and offer certification in 10 subject areas.
- We are headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia with a satellite office in Burtonsville, Maryland.
- We work directly with state legislators and education departments to ensure our students will be qualified to teach after they receive their certification.
- 23% of American Board students are minorities.
- 32% of our students are pursuing certification in math and science.
- The average retention rate of our teachers is 85% over the first three years of teaching. The national retention rate is 67%.
- In a recent survey, 95% of public school principals surveyed rated our teachers to be as effective as or more effective than their peers.
By The Numbers
6,000+ American Board Teacher Certifications Issued
95% Percentage of our teachers whom principals rate as effective.
- American Board Teacher Retention Rate 85%
- National Teacher Retention Rate 67%